In celebration of the WORLD DAY FOR SAFETY AND HEALTH AT WORK, this article serves as a reminder and guide especially to those working in warehouses doing hand wrapping or palletizing.
Manually placing boxes on pallets can be time consuming and expensive; it can also put unusual stress and danger on workers. When manually hand wrapping a pallet of products, the workers would usually complain of back pains and motion sickness from the constant rotation around the pallet. It can also increase the risk of cuts to fingers resulting when fingers are being inserted to the open end of the tubes to stream off wrap. Some injuries occurred when workers doing the manual wrapping accidentally drops the stretch films they are using which are usually several pounds heavy that to some of those who did not wear proper PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) their foot, toes got injured or even crushed/broken.
Here are the potential Risks, Health Hazards in the Pallet Wrapping process.
• Back Pains, due to poor posture, repetitive work and carrying heavy loads for a significant amount of time
• Motion Sickness/Dizziness due to repetitive motion of going around and doing the manual wrapping of the pallet
• Damage to fingers from holding the core of the rolls
• Tripping and colliding with people or other objects
• Danger of Load Collapsing and falling on to the worker due to Load not properly secured
To address these Health Hazards to the workers, below are ways in which we could prevent, minimize the risks of injuries and health problems.
• Use an ergonomically correct dispenser, especially for high loads if you must wrap by hand
• Provide proper hand protection and make sure it is being used.
• Train operators how to wrap safely, don’t allow them to put their hands into the end of the cores when holding the roll.
• Rotate jobs to ensure that individual workers do not have to wrap large numbers of pallets by hand without resting.
• From Manual Wrapping the company can switch to using Semi-Automatic Pallet Stretch Wrapper machine, it just doesn’t solve the health and safety issues but also maximizes production output but most of all it is consistent and has uniform application.
Safety and health at work is important because it protects the well-being of employees, visitors and customers. Looking after Health and Safety makes good business sense. Workplaces which neglect health and safety risk prosecution, may lose staff, and may increase costs and reduce profitability. After all the best investment we can make is on people and certainly one of the key elements is the health and well-being of the employee, the benefits will go a long way and in a lot of ways.